Monday, October 26, 2009

The ones left behind

Some people are able to escape the prison of their past; others choose to stay. There is no way of telling of the things that go on inside of the prison until you are out, and then it's too late. You can try to get the rest of them out, but your efforts are useless if the others don't want to leave. You can choose to re-enter the prison to be with the others or stand outside the walls and try to show them the way out. Sometimes, though, you must give up and leave the others behind. They don't want to leave; they know nothing else. Change brings fear. At least, in the prison, they know what to fear.

I am walking away from the prison. There are others left behind, but they have chosen to stay. I am sad for them and for what they have chosen, but I can no longer try to coax them out. They must choose to leave or accept the life they have forever.

Life is a path full of roads diverging, with choices to be made. Each choice leads to more paths that get you to your final destination. I know where I am going and I choose to follow the paths that will lead me there.

I will miss the others but not the prison I left.

2 comments:

NOT only happening in Wise County said...

I am so encouraged by your strength and courage in addressing this issue with personal life experiences. Proud is more than just a word to me and I am proud of you for coming forward. I can only imagine the pain that you have had to endure through the years and pray that you find peace and comfort in knowing you are not alone. The laws are meant to protect the guilty in this case due to the statue of limitations and it does take a victim of such crimes time to talk about what has happened. This man has to live with himself and what he did to you and I hope he is haunted by his actions. He needs to be stopped before he makes another victim.

Jacob said...

I think there is no one who wants to stay at prison. It is right that you have to stay there for knowing the experience of staying at prison. But, all you do will be silly because you want to stay at prison just for experiencing how if you are staying there. It is so silly.